What do you need to do to apply?
If you want to apply for Fall 2022, your application needs to be submitted by June 30. Recommendation letters do not need to be received by that date, but we do need the names of your recommenders, as well as the completed online form and your college transcript.
We admit new students only in the fall semester.
To be considered for admission, you must have:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited post-secondary institution (or international equivalent) with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Undergraduate statistics and precalculus
- Personal statement explaining why you want to come to John Jay
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended
We prefer, but do not require, undergraduate calculus. (The online form is out of date on this point). We do not require GREs. We are less interested in what classes you’ve taken than in your intellectual curiosity, your willingness to work hard, and your commitment to using your training to help change the world.
How much does it cost?
The City University of New York remains one of the most affordable university systems in the country. As a result, the John Jay Economics MA program is far less expensive than most other graduate programs. Total in-state tuition over two years is $16,920. Many students enroll part-time, paying $470 per credit; the total cost is the same. Comparable M.A. programs elsewhere typically cost $60,000 or more.
In-state tuition requires one year of residency in New York State. Out-of-state tuition is $855 per credit. So if you do not currently live in New York, your total tuition over two years will be $23,850, assuming you establish residency in your first year. For comparison, total tuition for the New School’s two-year M.A. program is $67,950 — nearly three times as much.
Dual BS / MA Dual Admission Program
Current John Jay undergraduates can apply for the BS/MA dual-degree program, which will allow them to complete their undergraduate and MA degree in five years.
- An overall GPA of 3.5
- At least 60 undergraduate credits at the start of the semester he or she is accepted as a BS/MA student. Transfer students applying to the program must have completed at least 12 credits at John Jay.
- Completion of ECO 213, ECO 255, and MAT 241 or equivalent
To apply to the BS/MA programs, you should submit the following documents:
- CUNY first student transcript and copy of current degree audit
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty members
- A personal statement of approximately 500 words detailing your qualifications and reasons for pursuing the accelerated program
- A writing sample of 5-10 pages (of a research or analytical paper)
June 30th for Fall Admission.